Today… it’s Red Velvet, Cream Cheese & Chocolate Brownies. Now, you may have noticed that I don’t make many red velvet things… I’m not really a huge fan. I don’t always have red food dye on hand and I’m not a huge fan of cream cheese. Call it pregnancy hormones and cravings… but for the first time in my life, I’ve been wanting to use cream cheese in every dessert I make.
The recipe is pretty simple… there are a few steps, but it really didn’t take much time at all to put together!
I made these especially for the #ChocolateLove BlogHop that I’m apart of! So make sure you visit the BlogHop Co-Hosts listed at the bottom of this post and add your favorite CHOCOLATE recipe to the list!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
Makes 12-16 brownies
9 tbsp unsalted butter
7oz 70% dark chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp red food coloring gel/dye
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
12oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line 9×13 glass pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray (or grease/flour pan – I prefer parchment paper, makes the brownies easier to pull out at the end).
- In a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate together. Stir often. Set aside to cool slightly when melted.
- While that’s melting, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt and set aside.
- In an even smaller bowl, with a fork, stir together the cocoa powder and food coloring until it becomes a paste and set aside.
- While the chocolate/butter is cooling, in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- SLOWLY pour in the slightly cooled chocolate. Start with a little bit at a time, you don’t want to add it all too much, too hot and cook the eggs.
- Add the cocoa powder/food coloring. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat until your batter turns a dark red color. If you want, you can add more red coloring at this time. Make sure the food color is very well incorporated before you move on.
- Slowly add the flour and mix until smooth. Don’t beat too much… just enough until all the clumps are out and the batter is smooth.
- Remove 1/2 cup of batter and set aside.
- In a clean bowl for the stand mixer, mix together the cream cheese, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla on high speed until whipped and smooth.
Spread brownie batter in the bottom of the pan, making sure to get it into the edges and corners.
Dollop the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie mixture. Using an offset spatula, gently spread to cover the brownie mixture.
Drizzle remaining brownie mixture on top of the cream cheese. Using your offset spatula, swirl the three layers together. NOTE: Don’t swirl too much! You want a lot of the white cream cheese to show through!
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotate pan, and cover with foil. Bake another 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with crumbs, not wet batter.
- Allow to cool completely in pan before removing to cut into squares.
Recipe adapted from An American Cupcake in London
ChocolateLove BlogHop CoHosted by:
A Little Bit of Everything ~ Roxana ~ @RoxanaGreenGirl * ASTIG Vegan ~ Richgail ~ @astigvegan * Badger Girl Learns to Cook ~ Kimberly ~ @BdgrGrl * Baker Street ~ Anuradha ~ @bakerstreet29 * Baking and Cooking, A Tale of Two Loves ~ Becky Higgins * Baking Extravaganza ~ Samantha * BigFatBaker ~ Erin ~ @BigFatBaker * Bon a croquer ~ Valerie ~ @Valouth * CafeTerraBlog ~ Terra ~ @CafeTerraBlog * Cake Duchess ~ Lora ~ @cakeduchess * Cakeballs, Cookies and More ~ Sue * Cooking with Books ~ Marnely ~ @nella22 * Creative Cooking Corner ~ Karriann ~ @KarriannGraf * Easily Good Eats ~ Three Cookies * Elephant Eats ~ Amy * Georgiecakes ~ Georgie ~ @georgiecakes * Hobby And More ~ Richa ~ @betit19 * Java Cupcake ~ Betsy ~ @JavaCupcake * Kitchen Belleicious ~ Jessica * Mike’s Baking ~ Mike ~ @mikesbaking * Mis Pensamientos ~ Junia ~ @juniakk * No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ TR ~ @TRCrumbley * Oh Cake ~ Jessica ~ @jesshose * Preheat the Oven ~ Jason ~ @officialchefjae * Rico sin Azucar ~ Helena ~ @ricosinazucar * Savoring Every Bite ~ Linda ~ @Spicegirlfla * Simply Reem ~ Reem ~ @simplyreem * Smart Food and Fit ~ Lisa ~ @LisaNutrition * Soni’s Food for Thought ~ Soni ~ @sonisfood * Sprint 2 the Table ~ Laura ~ @Sprint2theTable * Teaspoon of Spice ~ Deanna ~ @tspbasil * That Skinny Chick Can Bake ~ Liz ~ @Thatskinnychick * The Dusty Baker ~ Jacqueline ~ @dustybakergal * The More Than Occasional Baker ~ Ros ~ @bakingaddict * The Spicy RD ~ EA ~ @thespicyrd * The Wimpy Vegetarian ~ Susan ~ @wimpyvegetarian * Vegan Yack Attack! ~ Jackie ~ @veganyackattack * Vegetarian Mamma ~ Cindy ~ @VegetarianMamma * You Made That? ~ Suzanne ~ @YouMadeThatblog