Breakfast Cupcakes

| bacon, banana, buttercream, cupcake recipes, frosting and icing, fruity cupcakes, maple, peanut butter, peanut butter frosting, recipes, savory cupcakes

I have these gorgeous bananas sitting on my counter right now.  Long, bright yellow, soft but still a bit firm, not too over ripe… perfect for baking.  I’ve also got about 10 strips of bacon.  Oh and I’m craving peanut butter buttercream.

So yeah… I made a cupcake… with all those things in it.

I started with a basic banana cupcake base, added some maple syrup, chopped up some bacon and BAM… YUM!  Then, I topped the whole thing with my favorite peanut butter buttercream and a chunk of crispy bacon that’s been drizzled with maple syrup.

So yeah… you could totally eat this cupcake for breakfast.

PS… So, I’d love to share the peanut butter buttercream with you, but a certain baker in Seattle would kick my ass for sharing it with you.   You’ll have to use your own pb buttercream for these cupcakes.  (PS,  it’s not a cream cheese based frosting either… all butter, baby!)

Banana & Bacon Maple Cupcakes
Makes 18 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp banana extract
3 large bananas, diced and lightly mashed (we want lots of banana chunks and just a little bit of mush)
1/4 cup maple syrup

7-8 strips of crispy bacon, diced

1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.  Line cupcake pan with liners.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the butter and 1 egg and mix 7-8 strokes.
  4. Add the second egg and mix until combined, about 4-5 strokes.
  5. Add the bananas, vanilla extract and maple syrup and fold in with a spatula until combined.
  6. Fold in the diced bacon, making sure the sides and bottom of bowl have been scraped and combined.  Do not over mix the batter!
  7. Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes.
  8. Let cool in pans for 3-4 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
  9. Top with your favorite peanut butter buttercream and a chunk of bacon soaked in maple syrup.

13 Comments on Breakfast Cupcakes

1. Michelle
    January 10, 2012 at 7:20 am (3 years ago)

I WANT!

2. Lisa I want to crawl throug
    January 10, 2012 at 11:46 am (3 years ago)

I want to crawl through the screen and grab one of these breakfast cupcakes!! Peanut butter ana banana…come to Mama!

January 11, 2012 at 9:51 am (3 years ago)

nom nom nom they were tasty!

3. Maria
    January 11, 2012 at 2:57 am (3 years ago)

This is my type of cupcake!!!! I love peanut butter, i love bananas and definetly LOVE BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I. WILL. MAKE. THESE. VERY. SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Patt
    January 14, 2012 at 7:40 am (3 years ago)

Holy Elvis! deeelisshhhh!

5. Kayla
    March 28, 2012 at 5:28 am (2 years ago)

Hi,

I just want to tell you that these cupcakes are soooo great (like you don’t know). I have made plans for these cupcakes. I have a recipe for a blueberry buttermilk pancake cupcake and I made up a recipe for a vanilla bean frappe cupcake so I had to add this cupcake to the mix. I am making a Mother’s Day “Breakfast in Bed” box for my mom and grandmothers. I of course will make extra because I am the top mom in my house. LOL

6. Margie
    May 14, 2012 at 8:40 am (2 years ago)

Yummy,,,,,,,,,,kepp these recipes coming please.

7. cuteliciouscupcakes
    September 20, 2013 at 7:20 pm (10 months ago)

I’m soooo going to try this recipe. I can almost taste it al ready. Wish me luck :)

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Breakfast Cupcakes