I have these gorgeous bananas sitting on my counter right now. Long, bright yellow, soft but still a bit firm, not too over ripe… perfect for baking. I’ve also got about 10 strips of bacon. Oh and I’m craving peanut butter buttercream.
So yeah… I made a cupcake… with all those things in it.
I started with a basic banana cupcake base, added some maple syrup, chopped up some bacon and BAM… YUM! Then, I topped the whole thing with my favorite peanut butter buttercream and a chunk of crispy bacon that’s been drizzled with maple syrup.
So yeah… you could totally eat this cupcake for breakfast.
PS… So, I’d love to share the peanut butter buttercream with you, but a certain baker in Seattle would kick my ass for sharing it with you. You’ll have to use your own pb buttercream for these cupcakes. (PS, it’s not a cream cheese based frosting either… all butter, baby!)
Banana & Bacon Maple Cupcakes
Makes 18 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp banana extract
3 large bananas, diced and lightly mashed (we want lots of banana chunks and just a little bit of mush)
1/4 cup maple syrup
7-8 strips of crispy bacon, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add the butter and 1 egg and mix 7-8 strokes.
- Add the second egg and mix until combined, about 4-5 strokes.
- Add the bananas, vanilla extract and maple syrup and fold in with a spatula until combined.
- Fold in the diced bacon, making sure the sides and bottom of bowl have been scraped and combined. Do not over mix the batter!
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool in pans for 3-4 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Top with your favorite peanut butter buttercream and a chunk of bacon soaked in maple syrup.