Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes

| apple, buttercream, buttercream, caramel, cinnamon, cupcake recipes, filled cupcakes, frosting and icing, fruit frosting, fruity cupcakes, recipes, seasonal, spiced, top posts sidebar

I’ve made apple cupcakes a million times. I’m most known for my Tree Hugger Apple cupcakes which I debuted at Cupcake Camp Seattle a few years ago. I’ve made them dozens of times for family and friends. The only problem with these cupcakes is the amount of time they take and the number of steps needed to make them. I wanted to come up with a simpler, yet equally as delicious version of an apple cupcake that could be made in one bowl.

Now, there’s no getting around prepping the apples in butter, sugar and spices. That’s just a MUST for these cupcakes, especially if you want them filled. If you wanted to skip the filling step, you could add the cooked apples to your batter before baking and omit the raw apples from the batter. You’d have swirls of cinnamon and apple throughout the cupcake. YUM!

But, I wanted filled cupcakes this time so I chopped up half a large apple and put that in the batter. I’ll fill the cupcakes when they’re cool with the cooked apple mixture.

I topped these cupcakes with an apple, cinnamon and caramel buttercream… it took has chunks of apples running through it. Super good… super sweet!

Enjoy!

Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk (you could use apple juice too)
1/2 cup chopped apples

1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line your cupcake pan with liners.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugars.
  3. One at a time, mix in the eggs. Add the vanilla then beat on high for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
  4. Sift into the batter the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix by hand about 5-6 strokes.
  5. Add the milk and mix only until all the flour and milk are incorporated.
  6. Gently fold in the apples. Do not over mix!
  7. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Leave in pan for 3-4 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Filling
1 large apple, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk mixed with 1 heaping tbsp corn starch

1. In a medium pan, melt the butter on medium-high heat.
  2. Add the apples, sugars and vanilla and stir. Cook until bubbling, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the milk + cornstarch mixture and bring to a bubble. Cook for 1-2 minutes until thickens.
  4. Remove from heat and continue to stir for about 1 minute.
  5. Set aside to cool.
  6. Fill cupcakes and reserve remaining apple mixture for buttercream.
Apple Cinnamon Buttercream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 lb powdered sugar, sifted
2-3 tbsp heavy cream
remaining apple mixture
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
  1. Cream together the butter and shortening.
  2. Add about 1/2 the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
  3. Add 1-2 tbsp cream and mix until combined.
  4. Add all of the remaining apple mixture, cinnamon and salt.  Mix until smooth.
  5. Add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
  6. Add enough cream until you get the consistency you desire.
  7. Scrape sides of bowl and mix on high for 1 minute.
  8. Frost cupcakes and drizzle your favorite caramel sauce over frosting.
Assembly
  1. Core the center of your cupcakes out.
  2. Fill with apple filling.
  3. Top with apple cinnamon buttercream.
  4. Drizzle with your favorite caramel syrup.
Newer comments

49 Comments on Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes

1. Maria
    October 25, 2011 at 12:03 am (2 years ago)

I’m thinking about making these cupcakes soon, but my mom is already making angel food cake so I have to wait. I’m only a kid, but I’m really into baking! This blog inspired me to bake. Thank you for that! I’m thinking about making your chocolate and banana cupcakes with P.B buttercream for my sisters birthday. Any heads ups for me?

October 25, 2011 at 7:06 am (2 years ago)

Just take your time and follow the recipe! :) Don’t rush it! Good luck!

• Krystal
        October 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm (1 year ago)

I’m also just a 10 year old and I’ve baked lots of things. Once I made cupcakes for my friends birthday party.

2. samantha
    November 19, 2011 at 4:14 am (2 years ago)

these look amazing. i have a crazy obsession with apples. i will have to try this out soon. after thanksgiving im sure i have so many things in my oven as it is :) i have apple cider, do you think i could use that instead of milk or apple juice? ill have to try. no other apple cupcake compares to yours that i have found. when i make them i will come back and repost. im still a novice baker and am not prepared for the heart break of a recipie not working out if i try on my own.

November 20, 2011 at 10:25 am (2 years ago)

You could absolutely substitute apple cider!! :) Good luck and let me know how they turn out for you!! xoxo

• Samantha
        December 5, 2011 at 8:26 am (2 years ago)

They turned out delicious! I ran out of apple cider and forgot I had apple juice. And accidentally added an extra stick of butter to the batter( I was too anxious) but they tuned out just perfect but crumbly. Very sweet and tasty. My next cupcakes are the cinnamon eggnog Burban ones! This time I won’t mess up. Your cupcakes all look and sound great cant wait to try more. :)

December 12, 2011 at 8:01 am (2 years ago)

Mmmmm butter! <3 YUM!

3. Shasa
    January 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm (2 years ago)

I made these cupcakes last night and it was amazing. i bake all by myself and im only a teen. My whole family loved them.

January 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm (2 years ago)

That’s awesome!! :) I’m glad you liked them!

• Shasa
        January 9, 2012 at 1:10 am (2 years ago)

Ya. It was my first time so it took a couple of hours but it was worth it, so now im making it for a party so it will take less time. Do you have any other great recipe like the apple *cinnamon cupcake?

4. Rebecca
    January 22, 2012 at 6:01 am (2 years ago)

I want to make these and I just found this today!, Should they be stored in the fridge?

January 22, 2012 at 11:51 am (2 years ago)

Hi Rebecca,

No – you don’t have to keep them in the fridge. Although they should be eaten within 2-3 days of baking them. :) If you do put them in the fridge, prepare for the cake to not be as moist as when they were first baked. The fridge tends to dry them out a bit.

Good luck! Let me know how they turn out!

Betsy

• Rebecca
        February 6, 2012 at 12:59 am (2 years ago)

THEY WERE SO DELICIOUS! thank you for the recipe, I’ve used it about 5 times now, and people can’t seem to get enough!

5. ella stephenson
    June 27, 2012 at 9:11 pm (2 years ago)

i am looking for a smore cupcake and chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter chocolate cupcake

6. Jocelyn
    July 26, 2012 at 11:13 pm (2 years ago)

I wanted to put to a To put some kind of goldschlager frosting on these cupcakes. I was wondering if you had any ideas on how I could go about this

July 27, 2012 at 9:34 am (2 years ago)

Hmm…. What kind of a flavor is goldschlager?

• Jocelyn
        July 29, 2012 at 12:06 am (2 years ago)

Cinnamon…it’s a strong liquor so I don’t want it to be too overwhelming

July 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm (2 years ago)

Try 1-2 Tbsp of it in the frosting as a flavoring… top it with a light sprinkle of cinnamon to garnish.

7. Charlie101020
    August 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm (2 years ago)

What icing tip did you use to pipe the frosting?

8. Kristal
    September 29, 2012 at 10:10 pm (2 years ago)

I made these cupcakes today and was terribly disappointed. There was definitely not enough cinnamon flavor in the components and the frosting is nothing to brag about. The instructions are pretty vague as far as how much filling for each cupcake so you know how much filling should remain for the frosting. I would not make these again.

• Betsy ~ @JavaCupcake
      October 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm (2 years ago)

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy this recipe, Kristal! Let me know if you do anything to improve it and I’ll add your suggestions to the post! Thanks for the feedback! -Betsy

9. Alison
    October 10, 2012 at 6:41 am (2 years ago)

Hey!
    I made these cupcakes tonight and they were amazing. My only complaint is that the frosting had a stronger butter flavor than I would have liked. I added more cinnamon and come vanilla but that didn’t seem to help. Do you have any suggestions for how to adjust this in future batches?
    Thanks,
    Alison

• Betsy ~ @JavaCupcake
      October 10, 2012 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

What kind of butter did you use? Was it a margarine? Margarine tastes bad in frostings. If you don’t like the taste of butter at all, you can use all shortening… but then it will taste like shortening. Try beating the frosting longer… that can change the consistency and taste as well. Other than that… you may just not like buttercream. Try a Swiss Meringue frosting or something with egg whites/yolks instead! <3

• Laura C.
        October 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm (1 year ago)

I would also suggest trying a buttercream with cream cheese. The cream cheese helps mask the flavor of butter and I find it tastes better on fall desserts. I will actually be making a caramel cream cheese buttercream for these cupcakes tonight – if it turns out well and I remember, I’ll post it on here for others to see (only if you’re okay with that Betsy) :)

I have also found that the quality of the butter makes a difference too. Unfortunately, that usually means it will be more expensive, but it’s worth it to me. And as Betsy says, always use real butter – always!

• Betsy ~ @JavaCupcake
          October 25, 2012 at 9:34 pm (1 year ago)

Send me the recipe and I’ll put it up as a guest post on the blog!! xoxo betsy at javacupcake dot com

10. Ashley
    October 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm (1 year ago)

I JUST finished making these.
    The boyfriend walked in, took a bite, smiled.
    That’s how you know they’re good.
    Thanks so much for the great recipe!

9Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes

1. [...] Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes [...]

2. [...] 15. Apple Cinnamon [...]

3. [...] on the docket: Apple-Cinnamon Cupcakes. All I need to do now is pick up any missing ingredients. This should be fun! Wish me luck! I hope [...]

4. [...] made this apple cinnamon cupcake recipe (omitting the chopped apples, and using apple juice instead of [...]

5. [...] is an apple and cinnamon flavored buttercream, making these the perfect treats for fall! Source Java Cupcake Share : Pin ItTweet Posted by Miss Cupcake in Breakfast Cupcakes, Christmas Cupcakes, [...]

6. [...] If you love apple pie, then you’ll love these apple cinnamon cupcakes. The cupcake batter itself contains swirls of cinnamon and tiny bits of chopped apples. That alone would be enough to satify any apple lover, but these cupcakes take it to the extreme thanks to the addition of a sugar-y apple filling that is similar to – you guessed it! – apple pie filling. The frosting is an apple and cinnamon flavored buttercream, making these the perfect treats for fall! Source Java Cupcake [...]

7. [...] Check out the source for the recipe: Source Java Cupcake [...]

8. [...] made this apple cinnamon cupcake recipe (omitting the chopped apples, and using apple juice instead of [...]

9. [...] Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes [...]