I bought the last two cans of pumpkin at the commissary 10 days ago and I have been hoarding it. I’ve made pumpkin french toast, pumpkin spice syrup and now pumpkin donut holes. I’ve got about 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin left that I’m going to have to make something with… Maybe more syrup, that didn’t last long in my house!
These donut holes aren’t your traditional fried donuts… they are baked. But don’t get too excited cause then they’re drenched in butter. So I guess the calories you’re saving by not frying them you’re gaining back with the stick of butter that’s melted all over them.
But really… all fattening calories aside, these little bites of heaven are so yummy, you won’t be able to eat just one!!
Makes at least 48 donut holes
10 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups pure pumpkin puree (I used about half a 29oz can)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, meleted
1 1/2 cups sugar + 2-3 tbsp cinnamon, combined
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Lightly spray mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and pumpkin puree.
- With the paddle attachment on your stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar (about 2 minutes).
- Beat in eggs, one at a time and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions pumpkin mixture. Mix only until just combined.
- Using the smallest ice cream scoop, scoop a dollop of batter into each hole of the muffin pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpic comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- Coat each ball in melted butter then sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mixture until completely coated. Let sit out to dry for several hours. If you don’t, the butter won’t dry and you’ll have wet/mushy donuts. Yuck!
- Pop a couple in your mouth along the way.