Not cupcakes, I know… but… *drool* soooo tasty. These are a wonderful, grown up version of the rice krispie treats that you’ve always loved.
What makes them so spectacular? You brown the butter… you watch it on the stove, you let it turn into the most beautiful golden brown color and it smells just a little nutty… make sure that you really keep an eye on the butter, it goes from awesomeness to burned in like .2 seconds. Trust & believe. That way you don’t have to go through some burned butter… not sayin’ I did… just sayin’ lol 😉 *wink* … then you add a little bit of sea salt and melt the marshmallows. Then you enjoy the best rice krispie treats, ever.
Another little FYI: if you’ve made rice krispie treats before and they turn out super rock solid and not ooey and gooey, that means that you cooked the marshmallows. You don’t want that either. You just want them to melt. That’s all. Once they’re good to go mix in the rice krispies… don’t let those marshmallows linger over the heat for too long.
Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats (Smitten Kitchen)
- 8 0z. (or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, plus extra for the pan
- 10 oz. of marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Butter a baking pan, whatever size you have around works. I used a casserole dish.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low-medium heat, stirring frequently.
- The butter will melt, then foam, turn clear golden brown, turn brown and then smell nutty. Make sure you keep your eyes on the butter during this process-you don’t want it to burn.
- Turn off the heat, remove the pot from the stove and mix in the marshmallows and salt and let the marshmallows melt. If they need a little bit more heat, return the pot to the stove and continue mixing on low heat.
- Once the marshmallows are melted and smooth, mix in the Rice Krispies.
- Evenly spread the mixture into your buttered baking dish and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.