Banana, Espresso & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

| banana, chocolate, chocolate cupcakes, Coffee, cupcake recipes, posts by jenn, recipes, Starbucks

So, I’m a sucker for the goodies at Starbucks.  I’m not a just coffee kinda girl… oh no, I want a blueberry scone, perfect oatmeal, a ham breakfast sandwich, a good ol’ hawaiian bagel OR a piece of their banana chocolate chip coffee cake.  That coffee cake is delish.  I figured it would pretty easy to replicate in a cupcake… so that’s exactly what I did.

Banana, Espresso & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes | JavaCupcake.com

I started with my absolute favorite banana cupcake recipe, added 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips (I decided I like the mini chocolate chips better for just about everything-but it may just be because I’m on a mini cupcake kick lately-regular chocolate chips will work just fine) and a packet of Starbucks Via to the batter. They turned out great!

They weren’t too sweet.  They had a nice little crunch from the mini chocolate chips and the espresso flavor was there, but in a very subtle way.  I decided to go the cream cheese frosting route, but, 1. these would be amazing without frosting (if that suites your fancy) and 2. they would also probably be pretty phenomenal with a coffee buttercream.  As I’ve said before, anything in my house with cream cheese & bananas=breakfast, so these worked for every meal of the day Banana, Espresso & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes | JavaCupcake.com

They’re not an exact copy of the Starbucks coffee cake, but, they’re close enough… they have frosting… and they’re free.  (SN: obviously not all the way free because I had to pay for the ingredients, but you’re smart people-you know what I mean.)

Hope you’re all having a fabulous week!

Ps. Just an FYI-the featured image is 3 mini cupcakes, the picture in the post is a regular sized cupcake.  All of the cupcake liners are from Bake it Pretty.

Banana, Espresso & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 regular size, Starbucks Via Mocha flavor packet (instant coffe or freshly brewed espresso will also work)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Line 16 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
  2. In  medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.  In the well combine, melted butter, mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla extract and Starbucks Via packet.  Combine with flour until incorporated.  Do not over mix.
  4. Gently mix in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1-8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream, as needed to get desired consistency
  1. Cream butter and cream cheese until light fluffy in a standing bowl mixer on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes.
  2. Reduce speed to low and add the powdered sugar and combine on low speed until incorporated, about 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add heavy cream as needed.
  4. Pipe frosting with a large star tip.

xo-Jenn

15 Comments on Banana, Espresso & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

1. Firn
    August 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm (3 years ago)

Everyday I fall in love with u guys more n more … I’m a sucker for starbucks goodies too … omg! their scones are to die for … now u sending me to try that coffecake … You know I’m crazy about banana bread so u have me dying at my desk at work looking on this scrumptious banana cupcakes … u killin me …. 1luv Javacupcake

August 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Firn!!! xoxo

2. krista
    August 27, 2011 at 3:06 am (3 years ago)

I came here for cupcake ideas – but I really fell in love with your site design…I am so jealous…anyways, hope this isn’t completely off topic!

August 27, 2011 at 8:19 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Krista! It’s new and I’m loving it too!! <3

3. Bonnie
    August 29, 2011 at 2:49 am (3 years ago)

Does this make 16 regular cupcakes? Or 16 mini cupcakes? If I were to make minis, how many would this recipe yield? Thanks.

• Jenn Magofna
      August 29, 2011 at 4:52 am (3 years ago)

Hi Bonnie! Sorry about that… I didn’t clarify in the recipe… I was able to make 2 dozen minis & a few regular sized cupcakes from this recipe. If you’re making regular cupcakes you should get between 12-16 from the recipe. If you have any other questions, please let me know! Thanks!

4. Bonnie
    August 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks!!! That helps!

• Bonnie
        August 30, 2011 at 2:51 am (3 years ago)

I want to make cupcakes for work, but can’t decide between this one, or the Chocolate Amaretto. Both sounds so incredible!!!

5. Airene
    April 15, 2012 at 2:00 am (3 years ago)

Made these yesterday.Awesome recipe! Tasted great even without frosting. I didn’t have the Starbucks pack so I replaced it with a cup of instant 3 in 1 coffeemix. The result was a pretty moist texture. Thanks for sharing:)

April 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm (3 years ago)

Awesome! I’m glad you liked the recipe!! xoxo

6. John
    February 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm (2 years ago)

Hello, I am not using US measure but metric. Could you please let me know how much in grams does 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips mean? Thanks in advance.

February 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm (2 years ago)

I’m sorry – I don’t know the conversions off the top of my head. Have you tried looking for a conversion chart on google?

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Banana, Espresso & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

1. […] Banana, Espresso & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes […]

2. […] I saw this recipe on JavaCupcake, I knew this was my next endeavor.  My guinea pigs as I kindly put it (my coworkers) were the […]