So, I’m a sucker for the goodies at Starbucks. I’m not a just coffee kinda girl… oh no, I want a blueberry scone, perfect oatmeal, a ham breakfast sandwich, a good ol’ hawaiian bagel OR a piece of their banana chocolate chip coffee cake. That coffee cake is delish. I figured it would pretty easy to replicate in a cupcake… so that’s exactly what I did.
I started with my absolute favorite banana cupcake recipe, added 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips (I decided I like the mini chocolate chips better for just about everything-but it may just be because I’m on a mini cupcake kick lately-regular chocolate chips will work just fine) and a packet of Starbucks Via to the batter. They turned out great!
They weren’t too sweet. They had a nice little crunch from the mini chocolate chips and the espresso flavor was there, but in a very subtle way. I decided to go the cream cheese frosting route, but, 1. these would be amazing without frosting (if that suites your fancy) and 2. they would also probably be pretty phenomenal with a coffee buttercream. As I’ve said before, anything in my house with cream cheese & bananas=breakfast, so these worked for every meal of the day
They’re not an exact copy of the Starbucks coffee cake, but, they’re close enough… they have frosting… and they’re free. (SN: obviously not all the way free because I had to pay for the ingredients, but you’re smart people-you know what I mean.)
Hope you’re all having a fabulous week!
Ps. Just an FYI-the featured image is 3 mini cupcakes, the picture in the post is a regular sized cupcake. All of the cupcake liners are from Bake it Pretty.
Banana, Espresso & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 regular size, Starbucks Via Mocha flavor packet (instant coffe or freshly brewed espresso will also work)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 16 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In the well combine, melted butter, mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla extract and Starbucks Via packet. Combine with flour until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Gently mix in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, as needed to get desired consistency
- Cream butter and cream cheese until light fluffy in a standing bowl mixer on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add the powdered sugar and combine on low speed until incorporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add heavy cream as needed.
- Pipe frosting with a large star tip.