A few weekends ago, my family and I took a little weekend trip to Salzburg, Austria. Salzburg is home to many things including Mozart and the classic film, The Sound of Music. Also in Salzburg you’ll find Mozart Chocolate Ball, made by a Salzburg confectioner in 1890 and named after Mozart.
I picked up a trio of Mozart Chocolate Liquors which included a white chocolate liqueur… which meant that I had to make a White Chocolate cupcake!
What I came up with was this delicious little piece of white chocolate heaven…
White chocolate cake drenched with Mozart White Chocolate Liqueur topped with a white chocolate & Mozart Liqueur buttercream. I call these White Chocolate Mozart cupcakes!
These would be amazing filled with strawberries too… I’m just sayin’… white chocolate + strawberries = yum!
Mozart White Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes about 12 cupcakes, maybe a couple more
1 ½ cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
3 oz white bakers chocolate, melted
¼ cup milk
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup hot water
¼ cup white chocolate Mozart liquor
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup that pours, mix together the milk and sour cream.
- Using a double boiler on medium-high heat. Melt the chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg whites one at a time and mix until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- On medium, slowly pour the chocolate into the egg/sugar/butter mixture. Scrape the sides and mix until completely combined.
- Add the flour and milk/sour cream alternating, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix only until combined.
- Add the hot water and mix just until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After the cupcakes have completely cooled, poke 10-15 holes with a toothpick in each cupcake. Brush the liquor over the top, making sure it soaks into the cupcake.
Mozart White Chocolate Frosting
1oz bakers white chocolate, melted
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp Mozart white chocolate liqueur
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup milk or cream
1lb sifted powdered sugar
- Cream the butter.
- While that is creaming, melt the white chocolate using a double boiler. Cool slightly after melted.
- Mix in the liquor and vanilla to the butter.
- Slowly drizzle the melted chocolate into the butter mixture until completely incorporated, scraping the sides.
- One cup at a time, add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add the milk until you get the consistency you desire.
- Mix on high for 3 minutes.