Hola cupcakers! Hope that you’re all having a great weekend! I’m a little behind on posting, because July is a crazy busy month for us, but I’m always baking (of course!) these mint chocolate chip cupcakes were a big deal at work hope you like them too!
I made these as mini and regular cupcakes… I preferred the mini cupcakes just because I’m not a huuuuuge mint/chocolate chip fan… I know, I know… it’s craziness! BUT, everyone seemed to love them and I heard that they had a great mint/chocolate ratio. Mission accomplished!
The actual chocolate cake doesn’t include any mint flavor, so to punch up the flavor a bit, I melted a few Andes mints in the microwave and then dipped each cupcake in the glaze. It smelled amazing and made them look extra pretty.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes (Recipe Source: Bakers Royale)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line 2 muffins pans with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl mix sour cream and baking soda together; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour and cocoa powder together and set aside.
- In a standing bowl mixer cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in salt and beat until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Add in egg yolks and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Turn off the mixer and use a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon and alternate adding sour cream mixture and flour mixture, beginning with the sour cream and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips. Do not overmix.
- Fill each liner with a full ice cream scoop of batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and set on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 1 cup of crushed Andes (melted in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds)
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/3 cup of crushed Andes
- 3-4 drops of green food coloring (to get a pretty mint color)
- Dip each cupcake in the melted Andes glaze. Allow chocolate to set on each cupcake before frosting.
- Cream butter and sugar in a standing bowl mixer on medium for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add powered sugar to the mixer on low and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla and whipping cream and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in crushed Andes with a rubber spatula. Add 3-4 drops of food coloring and mix until combined.
- Garnish with Andes mints.