I made two kinds of cupcakes for the party, Glazed Jelly Doughnuts and these Red, White and Blue Velvet!
These cupcakes, according to my husband, taste just like sugar cookies. Personally… I think they’re better. They were moist, full of flavor and really quite delicious!!!
I topped these cupcakes with an Almond Cream Cheese frosting and a cupcake star. The stars on top are made from a few extra cupcakes that I cut into slices and used a star cookie cutter to cut out stars. Really so simple but such a great effect!
Not gonna lie… they were a HUGE hit!
JavaCupcake’s Red, White and Blue Velvet Cupcakes
Inspired by Sprinkle Bakes
Makes 2 dozen
2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp dark blue GEL food coloring
1/2 tsp violet GEL food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Prepare cupcake pan with liners.
- With a mixer, cream the sugar and butter, beating until light and fluffy – at least 3-4 minutes.
- While that is mixing, in another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a small measuring cup that pours, mix together the buttermilk and vanilla. Set aside.
- One at a time, add the eggs to the sugar/butter. Mix well after each egg and scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Mix cocoa and food colorings together to form a paste, and then add to sugar mixture. Using a scraper/spatula mix until the batter is one uniform color.
- In three batches, add the flour to the batter. Between each addition, add half the buttermilk. Mix until until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to batter. Mix only until combined.
- Scoop batter into liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (The batter is THICK and really needs this much time!)
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Almond Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 8oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
2 lbs powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
1 tsp almond extract
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- One cup at a time, add the sifted powdered sugar.
- Add the almond extract and combine.
- As needed add the milk until you get your desired consistency. You may not need the entire amount.