Rhubarb Cupcakes

| fruit, recipes

Rhubarb, what is rhubarb exactly? I’ve asked myself this dozens of times and to be honest, I still don’t have the answer. I asked a bunch of my friends on Twitter and they said it’s a tart veggie, but it’s used almost like a fruit it pies, jams and muffins and such. *humph* I still don’t know about this rhubarb.

So I thought… hmmm, could I do a rhubarb cupcake? I found only TWO recipes for this online… one of which was WAY too complicated. So, I settled on the simpler recipe from Coconut & Lime. This recipe is a basic vanilla cupcake (very flavorful!!) with chunks of tart rhubarb in it. It’s then topped with a marshmallow frosting made with a rhubarb based simple syrup. It’s really quite easy to make and the frosting really completes the cupcake!

I brought them to class today and EVERYONE was surprised and delighted that they were made with rhubarb and were a big hit!! They ooooh and awwwwed and said they were delish!! (Especially the frosting!)

Rhubarb Cupcakes | JavaCupcake.comSee the chunks of rhubarb?? Yummmy!!!

Rhubarb Cupcakes | JavaCupcake.comClick image for recipe!

*PS*
My mom emailed me this recipe for a yummy rhubarb recipe. It’s not a cupcake, but it still looks good!! I can’t wait to try it!

“Crumbly-Topped Rhubarb” by Nancy Jimerson

3 c Young Rhubarb, unpeeled and diced
1T Unbleached Flour
1/2 c Granulated Sugar
1 t Cinnamon
1/8 t Salt
1 T Water
6 T Butter
6 T Unbleached Flour
1/2 c Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
1/2 c Rolled Oats; Quick Cooking Oatmeal

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
In a 10x6x2 in baking dish, combine the first 6 ingredients.
Cream the butter with the flour and brown sugar.
Stir in the oats.
Sprinkle over the rhubarb.
Bake in a moderate oven for 40 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender and the top is brown.

12 Comments on Rhubarb Cupcakes

1. Sassypants Wifey
    May 1, 2009 at 9:56 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, rhubarb cupcakes, that is truely awesomeness right there. I can not wait to try this one. I may have to run out and buy some tomorrow! Thanks for sharing, you are a Pimp McFabulous!

2. Nancy @ La Chambre Rose
    May 2, 2009 at 5:40 am (6 years ago)

Excellent. My mother grew rhubarb and we had it fresh every year, mostly in pie!

3. Rocksee
    May 2, 2009 at 11:31 am (6 years ago)

I love love love rhubarb. My granny used to boil it for us as kids.. I am so going to try this!

4. Wems
    May 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm (6 years ago)

I had a request for Rhubarb Crumble cupcakes at easter :)
    They were all gobbled up in no time so they must have been good LOL

5. Kristin
    May 7, 2009 at 1:05 pm (6 years ago)

I LOVE strawberry rhubarb pie so I’m thinking these cupcakes are right up my alley! Hi from SITS!

6. Housewife Savant
    August 17, 2009 at 2:12 am (5 years ago)

You are going to get hundreds of comments all over your blog on this special day.
    Everyone will tell you what a SWEET blog it is.
    And some of us will politely ask for a glass of milk.

Yum, rhubarb.

Congrats on your fb day.

7. Michelle
    August 17, 2009 at 12:53 pm (5 years ago)

My husband would love these!

8. sam
    February 24, 2010 at 7:45 pm (5 years ago)

Yum, will try tomoz cant wait I luv rhubarb. Thanks Betsy!!

9. Tamie Soria
    May 15, 2011 at 8:14 am (4 years ago)

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

May 15, 2011 at 10:37 am (4 years ago)

Hi there. I use WordPress. And the reason why mine seems so much different is because it was made just for me by a couple of friends of mine that are web designers :) Good luck with your new blog!

10. Lorien
    June 9, 2011 at 4:41 am (3 years ago)

Hi Betsy

I’ve just bounced onto your blog not long ago, and I love it!! I’ve also seen Cupcakes Take The Cake, which is really ace. You’ve been inspiring me :)

I love this rhubarb recipe, I’ve tried rhubarb and ginger ones and they were soooo good. Nice combination. Now onto these ones next…

Thanks for sharing :)

Lx

June 9, 2011 at 7:14 am (3 years ago)

Lorien,

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing back from the readers! These rhubarb cupcakes were one of the first ones I made but they turned out so yummy and have become a super popular recipe on my blog!

Thanks again for stopping by… and please let me know how they turn out for you!

Betsy