My niece’s birthday party is this afternoon and my sister has hired me to bake cupcakes for the event!! White cupcakes with strawberry frosting is what they wanted… I thought I should kick it up a notch and do a little better. I made White Butter Cupcakes filled with strawberry and topped with Strawberry buttercream and fresh strawberries!
White Butter Cupcakes with Strawberry filling and Strawberry Buttercream
3 ½ cups sifted cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated white sugar, divided
½ cup HOT water
4 large eggs, separated
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners.
2) While eggs are still cold separate the eggs, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl. Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and allow the eggs to come to room temperature before using (about 30 minutes).
3) In a mixing bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4) In bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add 1 ½ cups of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
5) With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
6) Add the hot water and mix just until incorporated.
7) In a clean bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and then fold in the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix the batter or it will deflate.
8) Using an ice cream scoop, fill cupcake liners ½ full.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
10) Cool the cupcakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on the wire rack.
2 (4) cups strawberries (can be frozen), stems removed
1/2 (1) cup water
1 (2) teaspoon vanilla
1/2 (1) cup sugar
2 (4) tablespoons cornstarch or 4 (8) tablespoons AP flour
- Add the strawberries, water, and vanilla to a pot. Cook for 10 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Sift together the sugar and cornstarch and then stir into the strawberry mixture. Cook until the mixture is thick and the strawberries have broken down, about 20 minutes.
- To fill the cupcakes, use this method.
2.5 sticks (1 ¼ cup) butter, room temperature
5 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
2 heaping tablespoons of strawberry filling
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Adding sugar one cup at a time, mixing until creamy between each cup. With last cup of sugar, add the salt.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add strawberry filling one tablespoon at a time until incorporated.
- Mix on high until light and fluffy. (About 4-5 minutes)